Sixteen New Year Resolutions for Clothing Care
Every year most of us make New Year’s Resolutions. I know I do – last year it was to swim laps at least twice a week for half an hour and drink water at all meals. (I’ve learned over time to keep them simple, and specific). This year, I’m being more specific, and focusing on my clothes. Here are 16 resolutions that will help you and I to keep our clothes in great shape throughout the year.
- I will read and follow clothing care label instructions.
- I will blot, not rub, any stains and treat them quickly so they don’t set.
- I will endeavor to spill less or wear a bib.
- I will use good quality hangers to keep my clothes in shape.
- I will remove all jewelry or pins, empty pockets and inspect for stains before putting them in the laundry or dry cleaning bags.
- I will clean matching sets of clothes together to maintain color consistency.
- I will remove clothing from the dryer promptly.
- I will keep perfume, hair spray, and lotions away from my clothes.
- I will clean my seasonal clothing before storing.
- I will store my seasonal and special-use clothes in muslin garment bags that block light, and provide ventilation.
- I will store my seasonal clothes in an area with proper air ventilation, moisture control and light exposure.
- I will keep my clothing ironed or pressed.
- I will avoid crowding clothes in my closet.
- I will fold knits and place in a drawer or on a shelf.
- I will remove my clothes from the plastic bags from the drycleaner or store as soon as I get home.
- I will repair small problems, right away.